Hear the Maryland Crunch?
On Wednesday, March 25, 2015, join the thousands of Marylanders who will crunch an apple together to spread the word that every child in Maryland should have access to a healthy breakfast. Click here to see who participated in Hear the Maryland Crunch and read quotes from our supporters.
In 2014, over 162,546 Marylanders participated in the first annual Hear the Maryland Crunch event. How many will crunch in 2015? Click here to sign up!
Will You Hear the Maryland Crunch?
...because about one in six Marylanders don’t have enough money to buy the food they need.
...because we believe that all children (pdf) in Maryland need to start their day with a healthy breakfast.
...because we know that children who eat a healthy breakfast:
- perform better in school
- are less likely to be overweight (pdf)
- are less likely to be absent from or late to school (pdf).
Learn more about the:
- School Breakfast Program.
- Benefits of a healthy breakfast for students (pdf).
- Breakfast in the Classroom program.
- Community Eligibility Provision and how it creates “Hunger-Free Schools.”
Resources to Help Make Your Event Extra Crunchy
- Participate in the "Hear the Crunch" photo contest. Download the photo contest flyer (pdf).
- Flyer for Hear the Maryland Crunch! (pdf)
- Morning announcement scripts for schools
- Healthy Breakfast Bingo (pdf)
- Hear the Maryland Crunch Book List (including math, science, history, and fiction - listed by age range).
- Healthy breakfast lesson plans (pdf) for teachers and parents.
- Apple coloring sheet (pdf) for young children.
- Visit a Maryland farm that grows apples (pdf).
Contact your elected officials to:
- urge them to enact policies and programs that provide access to a healthy breakfast for all children in Maryland.
- let them know about Hear the Maryland Crunch!
- Sample script:
Will you Hear the Maryland Crunch? I will crunch an apple on March 25 to spread the message that every child should have access to a healthy breakfast every day.
Please support full funding for Maryland Meals for Achievement.
Please vote for the Hunger-Free Schools bill to allow more schools to elect Community Eligibility.
- Find your legislator's contact information here.
Hear the Maryland Crunch In the News
- Press Release
- Food Day blog post on Hear the Maryland Crunch!
- Did You...Hear the Maryland Crunch? Food Day blog post
- Blog post by Maryland Department of Human Resources Secretary Ted Dallas.
- Blog post at Technicolordining
- Blog post by the Capital Area Food Bank
- Public News Service radio story
- The Prince George's Sentinel
For more information, contact us at email@example.com.