Hear the Maryland Crunch!
Join us on Thursday, March 10, 2016 at 9:15 am to make some noise for school breakfast! On that day, Thousands of Marylanders will bite into apples simultaneously, to help raise awareness of the important role school breakfast plays in ensuring children have access healthy food.
Let us know that you'll participate - Sign up here.
In addition to biting the apple, Hear the Maryland Crunch! invites participants to:
- Spread the word, send an email, or tag your friends and ask them to join you in "Hear the Maryland Crunch."
- Take a photo and/or video of the crunch and share it with others. #HearTheCrunch.
- Encourage schools to serve breakfast after the start of the school day to ensure that all students have access to it. Learn more...
- See if your local schools are eligible to participate in Maryland Meals for Achievement State funding for breakfast in the classroom or the Community Eligibility Provision Federal funding that creates Hunger-Free Schools.
- Contact legislators to urge their support for policies and programs such as Maryland Meals for Achievement, which provide access to a healthy breakfast for all children in Maryland.
- Tell your Members of Congress to support a strong Child Nutrition Reauthorization (CNR) of The Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010. CNR authorizes all of the federal child nutrition programs, including the School Breakfast Program, National School Lunch Program, Child and Adult Care Food Program, Summer Food Service Program, and WIC - programs that ensure low-income children have access to healthy food. Learn more...
Resources to Make your Event Really Crunchy:
- Elementary school morning announcement script (pdf)
- Middle/high school morning announcement script (pdf)
- Letter from school to parents about the event (MSWord document)
- Healthy breakfast lesson plans (pdf) for teachers and parents
- Healthy Breakfast Bingo game (pdf)
- Apple coloring sheet (pdf) for young children
- Sample media advisory and press release [Coming soon!]
- Sample tweets [Coming soon!]
- Poster (pdf)
- Graphics and logos (MSWord document)
Find out more about school breakfast:
- Breakfast in the Classroom The best way to ensure that all students have access.
- Maryland Meals for Achievement (MMFA) State funding to provide universal, free breakfast in the classroom.
- The Community Eligibility Provision (CEP) Federal funding that creates Hunger-Free Schools.
- Learn more about the research that supports Breakfast for Learning (pdf) and Breakfast for Health (pdf).
Hear the Maryland Crunch In the News
- Baltimore Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake on Hear the Maryland Crunch!
- U.S. Congressman Chris Van Hollen on Hear the Maryland Crunch!
- Hear the 'Maryland Crunch' from Harford school leaders - The Baltimore Sun
- Extension Helps to Crunch Childhood Hunger - University of Maryland Extension
- Did You... Hear the Maryland Crunch? - Food Day Blog
- How Do You Like Them Apples? - Capital Area Food Bank Blog
- Maryland Day: Crunch Heard Around the State - Public News Service
For more information, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.