Hear the Maryland Crunch!
On Tuesday, March 7, 2017 at 9:15 am, thousands of Marylanders will bite into apples simultaneously, to help raise awareness of the important role school breakfast plays in ensuring children have access healthy food.
Held during National School Breakfast Week, Hear the Maryland Crunch highlights the importance of school breakfast programs in ensuring that all children get a healthy start to their day.
Here are some more ways you can help:
- Encourage schools to serve breakfast after the start of the school day to ensure that all students have access to it. Learn more...
- Email Governor Hogan and email your state legislators to urge their support for policies and programs such as full funding for Maryland Meals for Achievement state funding for breakfast in the classroom.
- See if your local schools are eligible to participate in Maryland Meals for Achievement or the Community Eligibility Provision – Federal funding that creates Hunger-Free Schools.
- Tell your Members of Congress to support a strong Child Nutrition Reauthorization (CNR) of The Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010. CNR authorizes all of the federal child nutrition programs, including the School Breakfast Program, National School Lunch Program, Child and Adult Care Food Program, Summer Food Service Program, and WIC - programs that ensure low-income children have access to healthy food. Learn more...
Find Out More About School Breakfast:
- Breakfast in the Classroom – The best way to ensure that all students have access.
- Maryland Meals for Achievement (MMFA) – State funding to provide universal, free breakfast in the classroom.
- The Community Eligibility Provision (CEP) – Federal funding that creates Hunger-Free Schools.
- Learn more about the research that supports Breakfast for Learning (pdf) and Breakfast for Health (pdf).
Resources to Make your Event Really Crunchy:
- Elementary school morning announcement script (pdf)
- Middle/high school morning announcement script (pdf)
- Letter from school to parents about the event (MSWord document)
- Healthy breakfast lesson plans (pdf) for teachers and parents
- Healthy Breakfast Bingo game (pdf)
- Apple coloring sheet (pdf) for young children
- Bookmarks to color (pdf)
- Sample press release
- Sample tweets (MSWord document)
- Poster (pdf)
- Graphics and logos (MSWord document)
- Hear the Crunch video for schools (Youtube)
- Hear the Crunch video for high schools (Youtube)
Hear the Maryland Crunch In the News
- Story on WYPR
- Video from Hear the Maryland Crunch at William Paca Elementary School in Prince George’s County
- Video on food insecurity and Hear the Maryland Crunch
- Hear the Maryland Crunch - CTV News
- Caroline students join synchronized apple bite - The Star Democrat
- Baltimore Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake on Hear the Maryland Crunch! See additional video here.
- U.S. Congressman Chris Van Hollen on Hear the Maryland Crunch!
- Hear the 'Maryland Crunch' from Harford school leaders - The Baltimore Sun
- Extension Helps to “Crunch” Childhood Hunger - University of Maryland Extension
- Did You... Hear the Maryland Crunch? - Food Day Blog
- How Do You Like Them Apples? - Capital Area Food Bank Blog
- Maryland Day: Crunch Heard Around the State - Public News Service
For more information, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.