Starting September 28 2015, 08:00 AM
Ending October 02 2015, 05:00 PM
Maryland Hunger Solutions, along with Virginia Hunger Solutions, invite you to join us in taking the SNAP Challenge (Sept 28 – Oct 2, 2015) to highlight the struggles faced by too many throughout our region who can’t afford the food they need.
SNAP is an essential lifeline that helps millions of Americans keep food on the table, but the current benefit level is far too low. Currently, the average benefit is about $22 for the week – or about $1.47 per person, per meal. By taking the SNAP Challenge, participants can see the difficult choices that low-income families are forced to make while food shopping on a limited budget, realizing how difficult it is to avoid hunger, afford nutritious foods, and stay healthy with few resources.
How to Take the Challenge:
- Plan to spend the average food stamp benefit as your budget for 5 days. That amount is $22 for all food and beverages.
- All food purchased and eaten during the Challenge week, including fast food and dining out, must be included in the total spending.
- During the Challenge, only eat food that you purchase for the project. Do not eat food that you already own (this does not include spices and condiments).
- Avoid accepting free food from friends, family, or at work, including at receptions, briefings, or other events where food is served (with the exception of food eaten at public places where anyone could eat, i.e. a homeless shelter, soup kitchen, etc.).
- Join us on Facebook and Twitter to share your experiences throughout the week.
- Invite others to join you, including co-workers, reporters, chefs, or other elected officials – spread the word with this SNAP Challenge brochure (pdf).
While living on a food stamp budget for just a week cannot come close to the struggles encountered by low-income families week after week and month after month, it does provide those who take the Challenge with a new perspective and greater understanding of why SNAP benefits should be improved.
Participate in the SNAP Challenge Week Events.
Join us and take the Challenge – register below.
For questions regarding the SNAP Challenge, contact Rachel Tucker – email@example.com.